As a former Information Security Officer (CISO) for one of the largest hospital systems, Michael works with clients to develop global privacy and security programs including carrying out audit and risk assessments, developing policies, implementing effective data transfer strategies, and negotiating cloud and other complex transnational agreements.
Michael offers practical experience that comes from having decades of experience as an information security officer and IT advisory professional, and works to understand clients’ businesses and information security challenges. He frequently collaborates with primary stakeholders, including executive leadership, at health delivery organizations, insurance companies, and other covered entities,on the development of industry best practices and strategies to meet the challenges of privacy and security requirements under HIPPA, state and federal laws and regulations.
A recognized security and privacy professional, Michael is a certified Information Systems Auditor as certified by Information System Audit and Control Association (ISACA).
Michael leads the Beckage Risk Management Practice which offers its Risk Assessment as a privileged precursor or simply a part of a broader audit strategy, to make sure our clients are on track with their technology and legal postures as it relates to information technology and data security.
Michael has advised and served on the boards of directors for many companies and is currently President-elect of the board of directors for a chapter of the Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS). Additionally, he is a director on the Board of Advisors for Rutgers Cybersecurity Executive Program.
Michael, also a Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)leads the firm's Risk Assessment practice.
· Certified information’s systems auditor (CISA) ISACA, 2010
· Developed, deployed, and trained employees on the organizational catalog of HIPAA-compliant policies and procedures and corresponding governance frameworks designed to safeguard patient and work force data.
· Responsible for the creation and deployment of the enterprise information security and risk management awareness training programs for a workforce of 2,000 (employees and contractors).
· Over 500 information systems audits
· Responsible for the development and support of the cybersecurity posture and strategy for New Jersey’s largest medical center.
· Implemented the investigatory program for alleged impermissible access to health records.
· New Jersey State Bar Association, Member of Health Law
· American Bar Association, Member
· Bar Association of Monmouth County, Member
· International Legal Technology Association (ILTA), Member
· Health Information Management Systems Society, New Jersey Chapter Board Member, President-Elect, currently chair of membership committee, previously co-chaired security, privacy and compliance committee
· Rutgers University Cybersecurity Executive Program Board of Advisors
· NJ-Health Information Network Compliance Committee
Quinnipiac University, School of Law, Connecticut 2004
· Recipient of, Law Students’ Legal Action Fellowship Honoree
· 2004 Distinction with Community Service Award
Richard Stockton University of New Jersey, B.S. 1993