Technology IP Team Leader
Steve brings years of comprehensive experience with data security and privacy compliance, incident response, litigation, and an extensive career in focusing on technology software and intellectual property issues. A sought-after speaker and writer on a number of data privacy, security and technical matters, Steve helps international brands to high growth startups, and everything in between, on a variety of legal matters.
Steve leads Beckage’s Technology IP practice where he leverages his more than 20 years of experience to counsel clients on patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets-related matters through the lens of technology, cybersecurity, and data privacy. Steve assists clients in the development, promotion, and protection of intellectual property portfolios through creative utilization of patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. Steve’s experience working through all the phases of a patent’s life, from conception by an inventor to enforcement, is an invaluable asset to Beckage’s clients working with cutting-edge technologies. He drafts and prosecutes patent applications and manages large international patent portfolios. In addition, Steve also identifies potential patent infringement assertions and potential cross-licensing opportunities and provides infringement opinions as needed. He handles Inter Parties Reviews (IPRs), Covered Business Methods Patent Reviews (CBMs), and Post-Grant Reviews (PGRs) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). He represents clients in patent enforcement and litigation matters domestically and internationally and reviews patent portfolios and pending patent litigation in relation to corporate mergers, acquisitions, and investments. Steve has experience working with companies of all sizes, from start-ups to multi-national corporations.
In the cybersecurity and privacy space, Mr. Rubin relies on his technology and engineering background to counsel clients and create information security policies (ISPs), and related policies and procedures used by companies to prevent and mitigate the risk from a data breaches and cybersecurity incidents.
Steve also counsels clients in global and domestic privacy matters, such as advising on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) compliance. He works on clients’ behalf to handle complex domestic and international litigation resulting from malware, ransomware, and other cybersecurity incidents.
Steve focuses his technology practice on matters related to electronics and computer science and has worked in diverse fields such as software; multi-core architecture; augmented reality; 3-D printing; optical communication; information processing; image processing; security systems; video conferencing; network based technologies, including cloud computing; mobile applications; search engines; military defense systems; physics; material science; encryption; chemical engineering; nanotechnology; medical devices; microlithography; RF-ID; fabrication and production of semiconductor devices; computer and network architecture and monitoring; circuits; coding/decoding, processing and transmission of signals; antennas; cell phone and pager technology; printer and display technology including LCD control; transmission, compression, synchronization, processing, and display of television signals; optical communications and lens technologies; mechanical devices; and lighting circuitry.
As a recognized leader in his field, Steve speaks and publishes extensively on various issues and topics pertaining to tech IP law and cybersecurity law. He has been quoted in IP Law & Business, Forbes Magazine, Information Week, World Intellectual Property Law Review, macnewsworld.com, ecommercetimes.com, computerworld.com, TechNewsWorld, Linuxinsider, EE Times, IPLaw360.com, Information Display Magazine, Newsday, and Long Island Business News, and in December 2012, he appeared as a legal analyst on PBS’s Nightly Business Report (NBR) “Profiting from Patents”.
Prior to joining Beckage, Steve served as Chief Intellectual Property and Global Data Privacy counsel to a global engineering firm and as a patent and privacy practice leader and Partner at a large, business-focused law firm.
In addition to his legal career, Steve has also taught intellectual property law at Stony Brook University, as well as patent law at Brooklyn Law School, Fordham University School of Law, Stony Brook University and Farmingdale State College.
Steve is a Certified Information Privacy Professional for the United States (CIPP/US) as certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
- IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals), Member
- American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL), prior Chair of the IP Transactions and Licensing Committee
- New York Institute of Technology, Industry Advisory Board Member
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), Senior Grade Member
- IEEE USA Intellectual Property Law Committee Member
- IEEE Long Island Section Power & Energy and Industrial Applications Joint Societies Chapter, Former Chairman
- IEEE Long Island former Legal Affairs Section Officer
- Eta Kappa Nu (Electrical & Computer Engineering Honor Society), Member
- Hofstra University, J.D. 1997
- Articles Editor, Hofstra Law & Policy Symposium
- New York Institute of Technology, B.S. (Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude), 1994
Membership & Admissions
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
Recognitions & Thought Leadership
- Recipient, IEEE Long Island Chapter Power & Energy Society Chapter Outstanding Engineer Award
- Presenter, Request for Production Number 23: Produce all documents relating to any WISP that existed prior to the Data Breach – How To Limit Potential Legal Liability in the Event of a Data Breach, Business Fundamentals Bootcamp
- Presenter, Managing Cybersecurity Due Diligence in Technology M&A Transactions, American Bar Association, Webinar
- Featured Speaker, How To Limit Your Potential Legal Exposure From A Data Breach, Geneva Group International’s European Regional Conference, Brussels, Belgium
- Featured Speaker, Technology Transfer Days Meetup Event Series – Legal and Collaborative Learning Session, Technology Transfer Days Meetup Event Series
- Presenter, From Technology to Taxation: The Interaction Between Intellectual Property Law and Transfer Pricing Rules Applicable to Intangibles Transfers Between Controlled Parties, American Bar Association