Seasoned Litigator with Extensive Background in Business Growth and Entrepreneurship
Daniel Greene, Esq., CIPP/US, CIPP/E is a seasoned trial attorney with significant data breach experience, including for clients in emerging and non-traditional markets. Dan’s experience includes working with SaaS providers, e-commerce retailers, financial institutions and alternative health care facilities to respond to and mitigate incidents, evaluate and effectuate reporting obligations, and defend resulting regulatory investigations and audits, including New York State DFS. Dan has also handled instances of employee inadvertent disclosures and data theft and has counseled client executives and directors on related compliance obligations. He builds client vendor management systems and negotiates related contracts to help clients realize and mitigate potential risks posed to privacy and data security by vendor contract terms.
Dan represents clients in breach and privacy litigation and in software and other technical disputes. Additionally, Dan represents clients across a spectrum of matters, including government investigations, internal audits, securities reviews, privacy, civil and white collar, criminal litigation. Dan leads cybersecurity investigations and responsive efforts to help clients respond to actual and suspect data security incidents, from analysis of breach notification requirements to preparation of notifications in compliance with applicable law to interfacing with third-party vendors. He also helps businesses protect their online reputation and brand by resolving domain name disputes and theft and copyright/DMCA issues. Dan counsels clients on governance best practices, crisis and incident response and communications, and compliance with U.S. and European data security and privacy laws. He provides data security and incident response management to help clients navigate the rapidly evolving cannabis industry by advising on regulation and policy compliance counsel to cannabis businesses. Dan interfaces with state and federal agencies routinely in response to investigations, enforcement notices, and compliance audits, and diligently represents clients in federal court litigation concerning data security and privacy matters. He also guides clients through data breach incident response to help mitigate legal risk and assist with reporting and notification obligations.
For large global clients in highly-regulated industries Dan helps prepare a variety of technology policies and procedures, incident response plans, social media guidelines, IT and data security and privacy training manuals and assists with their practical implementation.
Dan is a seasoned trial attorney with significant business “know how” from his leadership in a well-known VC investment portfolio and as COO of high-growth company.
Prior to joining Beckage, Dan helped lead a public sector venture capital investment portfolio. In executing due diligence investment criteria and providing robust mentorship programs after investment, the investment portfolio has seen its value grow in multiples and create hundreds of jobs within high-growth companies. Ultimately, Dan joined one of the portfolio companies as Chief Operations Officer to lead its initial commercialization and market expansion process. The portfolio company leveraged technology and brought innovation in a traditionally static industry, resulting in market disruption. These experiences provided Dan with extensive practical business perspective as well as legal insight on matters related to corporate formation, financing, business development, growth strategy and investment methodology, primarily for companies in the technology, AI and biometric space.
Previously, Dan worked at a prestigious boutique litigation firm as a respected trial attorney and as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in the Western District of New York, where he led the defense of criminal matters in federal courts, including obtaining two acquittals at trial.
Dan also served as the confidential law clerk of the Hon. Federico A. Moreno, Chief United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of Florida.
Dan is a Certified Information Privacy Professional, Europe (CIPP/E) as certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
- Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA), Member
Recognitions and Thought Leadership
- Winner of Business First’s 2017 “40 Under 40” Award
- Winner of University of Buffalo School of Management’s 2015 Intern Supervisor of the Year Award
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D. 2008
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. 2004
Membership and Admission
- New York State
- United States District Court, WDNY
- Foreign Legal Consultant, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Board Chair, Persistence Preparatory Academy of Building Excellent Schools
- Board Co-Chair, Albright Knox Convergence Council
- InfoTech WNY, Member
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Member
Experience and Expertise
- Structured selection process and investment of over $20 million in dozens of startups resulting in growth by multiples in portfolio valuation.
- Successfully financed hardware startup production at point of commercialization and led subsequent team, marketing and sales expansion.
- Numerous state and federal investigations resulted in decline to prosecute.
- Achieved two acquittals in two separate federal criminal court cases where defendants were indicted on multiple felonies.