Former Tech Business Owner, Nationally Recognized Data Breach Lawyer
Recognized in 2018, 2019 and again in 2020 as one of the Top 30 data breach attorneys in the United States by Cybersecurity Docket, Jennifer A. Beckage is one of a handful of people to earn the recognition more than once and the only Upstate New York attorney to ever receive this honor. Jennifer counsels clients in the areas of breach response and mitigation, data security, information technology and privacy law, and business growth. She has responded to numerous headline-making, national and international data breaches and cyber incidents, providing crucial notification strategy and actionable risk mitigation advice. Jennifer assists clients in resolving domain name disputes and theft to help preserve brand recognition and protect business reputation. She also works proactively with businesses to provide practical counsel under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) from website remediation recommendations to litigation strategy and defense and settlement compliance. Jennifer interfaces with state, federal and international regulators to limit legal vulnerabilities arising from data breach and cyber incidents and defends clients in class action litigation and regulatory enforcement actions arising therefrom. Jennifer works closely with the firms Artificial Intelligence team, advising clients on AI principles and regulatory considerations, drafting company-wide AI policies and negotiating contracts across a variety of sectors.
Jennifer also develops data protection and crisis response plans and IT policies for her clients, including counseling clients on compliance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Frequently called upon by clients to conduct in-house training, tabletop exercises and compliance audits, Jennifer works closely with company executives to promote client preparation and effective response in the event of future incidents.
Jennifer is a regular contributor on topics of data security and privacy, information governance, and cyber security, and speaks at major industry and association events on these and other topics.
Jennifer is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US) and Certified Information Privacy Professional, Europe (CIPP/E) as certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Prior to founding Beckage in 2018, Jennifer was a partner and created the data security and privacy team for a Buffalo-based law firm with nearly 200 attorneys and offices in eight cities. Before becoming an attorney, Jennifer was an owner and executive of a technology business, helping to lead its successful sale to a publicly traded company, which retained her as vice president of operations for technical services and product lines across 11 states servicing Fortune 500 clients. Jennifer leverages her extensive business background to counsel clients on all aspects of business growth from product development, contracts, transactions, audits and investigations, and other matters.
- New York State Bar Association
- New York Criminal & Civil Courts Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York, WNY Chapter
- Bar Association of Erie County (former elected Bar Director)
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, Alumni Chapter
- International Legal Technology Association (ILTA), Member
- Board Director, Launch New York
- Advisory Board Member, Buffalo Institute for Genomics & Data Analytics
- LLB, Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- National Advisory Board Member, UB School of Law Advocacy Institute
- InfoTech WNY, Member
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Member
- Wish Granter and Volunteer, Make-A-Wish Foundation
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., 1999
Membership and Admission
- New York State
- United States District Court, EDNY
- United States District Court, WDNY
- United States District Court, NDNY
- United States District Court, SDNY
- Foreign Legal Consultant, Law Society of Upper Canada
Recognitions and Thought Leadership
- Cybersecurity Docket’s 2018, 2019, and 2020 Incident Response 30 Recipient – One of the Top 30 Incident Response Attorneys in the U.S.
- Winner of 2019 Infotech Western New York, BETA Award for Woman in Technology
- Final five selected for Women in Technology, Infotech Western New York, BETA Awards, 2018
- Honoree of the New York State Bar Association Pro Bono Award of 2011
- Top 25 Women of Influence, Buffalo Business First, 2018
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers® Rising Star 2013-2018
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers® Super Lawyer 2019 and 2020
- Winner of Business First’s 2014 “40 Under 40” Award
- Empire State Counsel® Program for Pro Bono Work
- Top 10 Innovative Alumni, University at Buffalo School of Law, 2019
Expertise and Experience
- Developed GDPR Compliance Programs for clients based inside and outside the United States.
- Responded to numerous data security incidents, cyberattacks, ransomware, malware by providing legal and risk mitigation advice while coordinating appropriate technical and other teams to respond and stand up operations again.
- Performed table top exercises with companies to test IT policies and incident response capabilities.
- Advised publicly traded companies, private enterprises, and educational institutions, their boards of directors, and their management teams.
- Represented clients in cyberattack and data breach and data privacy and security matters in federal and state courts.
- Represented clients in federal and state data breach and privacy litigation, including defending clients in putative class actions.
- Routinely met with IT teams and the in-house legal teams to help bridge gaps and foster dialogue on cost effective but high impact solutions.